General questions about Magento 1 not specific to a minor version. You can use it to distinguish from Magento 2, but if you have issues with a specific installation, use the appropriate magento-1.x tag instead.
Use cases for this tag
- General questions about a feature that is present in all or all relevant Magento 1 versions. Example: http://magento.stackexchange.com/questions/34395/magento-event-observers-singleton-versus-model
- Questions about the Magento 1 ecosystem, not specificly targeted at the code base. Example: http://magento.stackexchange.com/questions/48984/how-to-contribute-patches-to-magento-1
- Questions about relation/difference/transition of Magento 1 vs. Magento 2. Use the tag together with magento-2 in this case. Example: http://magento.stackexchange.com/questions/83331/magento-developer-certification-for-magento-1-or-2
Do not use the tag when...
- You have a problem in a Magento installation and assume the version is not important
- You have a question related to updating between different Magento 1.x versions
In these cases, you should always use the appropriate 1.x tag(s) instead. A non-comprehensive list:
- Magento CE: magento-1.3, magento-1.4, magento-1.5, magento-1.6, magento-1.7, magento-1.8, magento-1.9
- Magento EE: ee-1.10, ee-1.11, ee-1.12, ee-1.13, ee-1.14