In an effort to learn how to work with Magento I have set myself a number of (what i believe will be) basic tasks. The aim being to give me an idea of how to access information of the customer, products etc and apply that to the dashboard, product page, payment page etc. I give this intro as my request my seem a little over the top for a real store.
- get logged in customers name (DONE)
- make sure the first name and last name are in capitals (DONE)
apply it to
- Welcome, "logged in customer" (in the header)
- MY ACCOUNT (left side bar)
- My Dashboard (content area heading)
- Hello "logged in customer" (content area above account information)
- ACCOUNT INFORMATION (content area)
so the above locations, say:
- "logged in customers" Account
- "logged in customers" Dashboard
- "logged in customer" has registered with main store
- "logged in customers" Information
- Contact information for "logged in customer"
Do I need to create a module containing a helper or observer or even override the core module (I have learnt enough to know I do not edit the core directly). I would also like to understand the reason why I would do one or another.
I appreciate that most of what i am trying to do is completed by adding a bit of code to the relevant template, what I am trying to do is work out the best way to do it
SUMMARY OF QUESTIONS
to add new data into a .phtml file should I copy that data and place it in my own file which I then customise or is there a better way?
to change the users first and last name to uppercase, should I override
Mage_Page_Block_Html_Headeror create a module that contains a helper or an observer to set the users name to uppercase first