Preface: We want to extend the monitoring of one of our webshops as the provider had troubles with the PHP configuration and parts of the live webshop crashed (backend & checkout not working). I don't want to discuss about moving to another provider here.
As we are now thinking about possibilities to monitor the webshop itself and the availability of certain parts (like "Is the checkout working?"), the question is:
What tools and strategies do you suggest to monitor a live website?
- Do you automatically check, if the checkout is still working on a live website?
- What can be good parameters to monitor to detect failure? Last Order < 1 day ago, last user login,...
- Using cron jobs: Checking for example for last order date/time and if it's too long ago, send an email and/or check manually if the checkout still works?
- Using software/tools like Icinga, Uptime Robot,...
- Sending out warning E-Mails to Admins,...
Looking forward to your answers :)