I am running a copy of Magento on my localhost so that I can make changes without affecting the live site. I have imported a database which was backed up from the 'live' site and have changed the web/secure/base_url and web/unsecure/base_url to http://localhost/magento/ and I am able to see my database BUT I can't see any of the skins, image files etc. I know this is linked to the database because if I change the DB credentials in local.xml to a different database it loads everything perfectly. Problem though is that I need this database.
I have also tried 'http://localhost:8888/magento/index.php/' to be more precise and see if that works, but it didn't. I've spent hours trying to get this up and running and am so close!