These are pretty creative promotions but you won't be able to do it with one single rule. The best way to do it is the following:
% off Category
Use Catalog Price rules. Set it by category. Make sure to click "Save and Apply". Reindex and clear caches.
Sale Priced Products
You can do this in multiple ways:
- Items that are priced with the "special price" price type and an applicable date within the Catalog product itself.
- Items that have a catalog pricing rule applied
- Coupon Code (shopping cart price rule)
- Automatic discount in the cart (shopping cart price rule with no coupon necessary)
- Discount based on customer group or segment (Magento EE only)
My suggestion is to use a coupon. This helps apply the next part:
Free shipping can be applied in the cart whenever a promotion that activates it is applied. This can be applied with or without a coupon code. My suggestion is to use a coupon code. This helps you distinguish orders with abnormally low AOV (as if shopping at the end of November weren't clue enough) in your reports.