I will be involved in Mobile Application development for the first time and i don't have much exposure to Magento API. Our client wants a Mobile App to be built for Android, Iphone and Windows.
The requirements for the mobile app are as follows:
1) User LOGIN AND REGISTRATION
2) Connect with social media
3) Promotions: Promotional banner slider
4) Featured Categories: Offer/Special categories with see all option and Scrollable products under categories
5) SHOP LOCATOR
6) Category Listing
7) Product Listing
8) Sort Option
9) Popular Products, Special Offer Blocks
10) Navigation Filters
11) Real time product search
12) Item Listing
13) PRODUCT DETAIL with all product details and wishlist option
14) Review Product and Ratings
15) Add to chart and checkout functionality
16) Promotional Coupon
17) Gift Cards
18) Reward Points
I did a research on SOAP VS REST. Rest only provides the basic feature which is not enough to make an application with above functionality but on the other hand it is faster than SOAP.
Whereas SOAP has almost all the features listed above. Our client needs to make an app based on REST API.
Is it possible to use the combination of REST and SOAP API to build a mobile app? Can i use REST for Product listing, customer creations etc and use SOAP for rest of the feature?
Also, If it is not possible to used them together which would be better option to use SOAP which has many features or create a custom REST API where needed?
It would be great if anyone can provide some insight on this