I am trying to move away from a HostGator VPS to a Digital Ocean VPS and also upgrade my Magento version in the meantime. I have a very basic knowledge of VPS and the LAMP stack.
So on Hostgator, I am actually using a WHM + CPanel setup and I would like to just manage it myself without the CPanel in DigitalOcean.
This is my current stack:
- Magento Version: 22.214.171.124
- Linux: CentOS release 6.10 (Final)
- Apache: Apache/2.4.43 (cPanel)
- MySQL: mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.6.43, for Linux (x86_64) using EditLine wrapper
- PHP: PHP 5.6.40 (cli) (built: Apr 7 2020 18:17:28) Copyright (c) 1997-2016 The PHP Group Zend Engine v2.6.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2016 Zend Technologies with the ionCube PHP Loader v4.7.5, Copyright (c) 2002-2014, by ionCube Ltd., and with Zend Guard Loader v3.3, Copyright (c) 1998-2014, by Zend Technologies with Zend OPcache v7.0.4-dev, Copyright (c) 1999-2015, by Zend Technologies
From my understanding, since 2019, Magento 1.9.x.x started supporting PHP 7.2. Which is great news. I want to see if it is possible to set up a LAMP server on Digital Ocean with the lastest CentOS, Apache, MariaDB, and PHP. I would also like to start using the latest version of Magento 1: 126.96.36.199
This is my thought process for doing so.
Create a new droplet (Is this enough?)
- 1 GB Memory
- 1 vCPU
- 1 TB Transfer
- 25 GB SSD Disk
Install the latest version of LAMP on the newest version of CentOS.
- Install the latest version of Magento on top of the LAMP stack.
- Install the required PHP modules and Apache Modules
- Backup the database on the old server and restore it on the new server.
- Backup the files on the old server and add it to the new server. (I actually do not know which folders/files need to be migrated over if you can kindly help me list them out, that would be super).
Would these steps work out? I really do appreciate your help on this matter.