I've installed a module and while the CLI says that the module is installed, the schema in the db has been created and the module has a record in setup_module it doesn't show up in the admin. When looking at the module in the module manager it shows as off, enabling it via the module manager doesn't change this.
I've then installed another module as a test (webshopapps matrixrates), exactly the same thing happens, shows as installed, schema created, shows as off in module manager even if you enable it.
So far I've done a full uninstall of the modules (disabled the module, ran
php bin/magento setup:upgrade, removed the db entries, deleted the module files and then cleared the cache / re-ran
php bin/magento setup:upgrade and confirmed the module no longer shows up in the cli or mod manager) and then reinstalled and still no joy.
It feels like something got stuck but I can't figure out whats going on...