I followed this QA's method to customize the order number on my recent Magento 2.3.1 migration. But when ShipWorks downloads the orders, they still start at
ShipWorks' support team called back and they are keying the
order_id field for order numbers and not
increment_id, which as we all know, is the Order Number in human speak. Once I test the effectiveness of updating the sales_order table's auto_increment primary key, I'll post an answer.
order_idis used, note that the "Order #" must be an
intdata type and must not have any other characters for this to work. If an order gets edited, magento adds a
increment_id. This renders any workarounds void, as the
order_idincrements and gets out of sync with the
increment_id/Order #. I sent feedback that this was a fatal flaw and that we'd look at other packages if they couldn't update with a timeline for the fix.