PHPstrorm does indeed automatically generate doc comments if you type
/** and press [enter] above any class, method of variable.
This is a plugin for Magento 2 development in the PhpStorm IDE. It is available via the JetBrains Plugin Repository
- Go to Settings / Preferences in the PhpStorm IDE
- Navigate to "Plugins"
- Click the "Browse repositories..." button and search for "Magento PhpStorm"
- Install the plugin and restart PhpStorm
- Go to Settings / Preferences / Languages & Frameworks / PHP / Magento in the PhpStorm IDE
- Check "Enable" and "OK" button.
Gives you some added benefits over standard IDE functionality
- "Navigate to configuration" reference in scope of class/interface
- "Go to plugin" reference in scope of class/interface and method
- "Navigate to Web API configuration" reference in scope of class/interface and method
Although can also be generated using above plugin
Can be helpful for debugging XML errors that are thrown in developer mode