Can any one tell me the logical difference between of using index.php in root directory and pub directory when we go live to point domain then which index.php should be pointed by domain?
- Magento 2 ships with two index.php files.
One is at the absolute top level of Magento 2’s distribution folder. The second is inside the "pub" folder. There’s also separate but similar .htaccess files for each of these index.php files.
The file you want to use for your Magento system’s root folder is pub. This is a modern PHP framework convention, and is one layer in a layered approach to protecting your PHP and configuration files from being exposed to the world. However, Magento still ships with the root level index.php because many hosting companies make changing this web root difficult and/or impossible.
- Because in that case most of Magento's code will live outside the public document root, so the possible attack surface is smaller. In other words, when you use the top level folder as document root, you have to make sure that various folders (such as app) are explicitly denied in your webserver configuration.
In magento 2 root/index.php and pub/index.php both index.php are entry points and they are reusing the same app/bootstrap.php
- The pub/index.php -- if you are able to configure the "pub" directory as the document root on Server.
- In order to run a Magento 2 web application, the "pub" directory is the only one that's necessary to expose.
- The rest you can hide (typically for security reasons, to avoid accidental exposing local.xml or something like that).
- It is more secure than root.