I've noticed constantly throughout forum threads, blog articles and Q&A many problems are caused through caching not being cleared.
I think I understand the basics with caching and indexing but i'm hoping someone with extensive knowledge could potentially clear this up for me.
I am not asking for information about
Varnish and the likes, but specifically how Magento caches and indexes content.
There are times when I have physically removed the
var/cache directory and let Magento rebuild it and things started to work.
Within the Admin Console under
System > Configuration > Cache Management we have:
- Flush Magento Cache;
- Flush Cache Storage;
Can someone explain to me what caching pools are flushed by the above buttons?
Within the grid there are several default levels of caching for:
- XML configuration (which i thought was just config.xml files but it seems is layout local.xml files included)
- Layout XML: why is local.xml not cached here?
- Collections data: exactly what is it that is being cached and where?
- EAV types and attributes: I presume this is to do with associating attributes to
- Flush Catalog Images Cache;
What are the above buttons flushing and how are those caches built?
Can anyone explain any further information or link to an article that might help understand in more details how the caching works with Magento?