As we had controversial opinions about this on our project, I'd like to ask the question here for another opinion (or two):
For Magento2, should we set url keys for simple products? Which of the three options is best?
a) use a unique url key for each simple product
b) use the same url key for all simples of one configurable
c) leave the url key empty for simple products
- We have one page per configurable in our shop.
- all simples of one configurable have the same name
- Configurables must have a unique url key
- It is possible to add the same url key to multiple simple products
- If I do not set a url key for a configurable, it is derived from the "name" attribute automatically
- It is perfectly fine to set no url key for a simple. The simple product will then have no attribute record for the attribute type "url_key".
- M2 does not seem to automatically increment the url key, if the (automatically derived) url key exists already