We have a Magento multi-store setup for 3 stores/domains built on October, 2013. Since then we have great google sitemap.xml index rates for over 90% across all 3 domains. On 2/25/2014, we added another domain into the same magento installation. The sitemap.xml index rate for the original 3 domains dropped significantly afterward.(Our mistake to include every single SKUs we have into the 4th domain) After we discovered the problem, we took out the 4th domain and changed everyting back to before. We waited for couple weeks, 2 of the websites are back on track on sitemap.xml with 90% index rate. For the other domain, we tried everything we could to increase the index rate without any luck. It's been over one month after we took out the 4th domain, somehow Google only indexed 1% of the sitemap.xml and kept the rate since.
- Our configurations:
- Magento Configurations are the same across all 3 stores/domains
- All 3 domains using different IP addresses. (We implemented this after the big drop on index rate)
- 3 websites share some of the products and brands we carry
- All 3 domains shares same .htaccess and robot.txt
- All of our domains are more than 5 years old.
- We use Nexcess for Magento hosting. (Updated for reference.)
Question: What else might causing google to not index the 3rd domain's sitemap.xml?
FYI: We are able to manually submit urls in webmaster tools for google to index it.