I have been searching for hours, trying to avoid the "already asked and answered" and the "LMGTFY" remark. The problem is, all the answers I'm finding are either not applicable to my environment (I'm not running Vagrant, WAMPP/XAMPP/MAMPP, and I haven't installed anything on top of, updated, or otherwise fiddled with Magento at all) or the suggested solutions are not my problem (the .htaccess file is already in the docroot, user:group is already set to www-data:www-data, app/etc/use_cache.ser doesn't exist, therefore, cannot be deleted). So, if I've somehow overlooked the fix, please accept my apology and just point me to the right place.
This is a brand new, fresh install of Magento 2 (Magento-CE-2.1.9-2017-09-13-03-35-18.tar.gz to be exact) running on a dedicated Ubuntu 16.04 x64 server running on a DigitalOcean droplet. This is a development server that will only be accessed via IP and eventually moved to a permanent host. Listed are the steps I took. At the end of the web-based setup, I hit the big, orange "Launch Admin" button, and got a 404 error. I added /admin/ to the URL, then I added /admin/index.php ... neither worked. Yes, I made sure I was using the correct "admin" username.
- Ensured LAMP stack in place
- Added user 'magento' to mysql and granted all permissions. (GRANT ALL ON magento.* to magento@localhost; FLUSH PRIVILEGES; etc)
To /etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default.conf, I added:
DocumentRoot /var/www/html // added for clarity // Open bracket not showing up, even when using & tags -open bracket -Directory /var/www/html> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Multiviews AllowOverride All Order allow,deny allow from all -open-bracket-/Directory>
apache2ctl configtest (Syntax OK)
- Restarted apache
- tar xvzf Magento-CE-2.1.9-2017-09-13-03-35-18.tar.gz (from docroot: /var/www/html)
- chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/html
- chmod -R 755 /var/www/html // on a previous attempt, I set the entire tree to 777
- Fired up the browser, ran http:/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/setup
- Passed all checkpoints and web portion of setup successfully completed
- Hit "Launch Admin", got 404
- Checked front page - content visible, appears to be missing CSS.
This wasn't my first attempt. I actually verified these with an instruction video, so I could be sure I covered everything.
I apologize for the long read, and I've tried to take most of the frustration out of my tone, but I've never had so much trouble installing anything. Ever.