I was asked to add a taxonomy attribute. I now that could be thought that it is way to broad so I'll try to do my best to lay out everything as this question evolves. The demand from them is that they don't want the categories or tags to be used for this as they are using this already. What they want is to basically have the category tree that is in the product edit page tab to be reproduced with custom data in a new tab called "taxonomies". I have bee trying to plot out how to best approach this but I'm running in circles here.
The conditions are:
- The values are to be searchable
- The existing category system is not to be replaced (in other words a solution is not "why not use the categories?")
- It must have hierarchy
- if possible have a url for the taxonomy value (yeah I know)
Basically I have just been asked to reproduce the category system. :\ I have been reading around and found many examples of setting the category tree selector in extensions, Add Category tree in custom extension for example. None of the examples are leading me to what the solution should look like.
Here are possible solutions I have been running down.
- A new extension that sets a EAV attribute maybe?
- try to copy the whole category system under a new name scope?
I'm not really sure where the best path is but it I know it'll be a long one.
The short of this is, how can I do what wordpress does I guess. This is where the boss people have picked up the idea and are steadfast on "this is a must".