Today I'm using the Magento CE 2.1.5, what'll be improved with this update? and what are the errors that I could have with this update?
Magento 2.1.6 contains over 15 significant performance enhancements when compared to 2.1.5. Look for the following highlights in this release:
Improved performance of the Category page
loading configurable products from the database is now up to 5x faster
price calculations are now up to 3-5% faster
stock validation is now up to 20% faster
Optimized image resizing
image resize operations performed from the command line interface now generate images of all sizes. See magento catalog:images:resize for more information.
image resize operations from the Admin have been fixed
significant decrease in the number of file system operations when processing images on frontend
caching of image metadata is up to 50% faster, depending on store size
Improved performance of layered navigation
- layered navigation is now up to 3% faster due to the caching of attribute options
Minimized indexing operations after product import
You can check more bugfixes and details here: http://devdocs.magento.com/guides/v2.1/release-notes/ReleaseNotes2.1.6CE.html
We address the following functional fixes and enhancements in this release.Catalog
- Magento no longer locks the
category_product_entitytable. Unlocking this table reduces the potential of lock-related timeouts that can occur when indexing and checkout operations run in parallel. Previously, Magento locked the
- The storefront now displays images that Magento resizes during product save operations, rather than resizing the product on the storefront. Previously, the image path contained
store_id, and during save operations, Magento resized images for images the default store only.
\Magento\CatalogInventory\Model\Stock\Status\getStockId()method now returns the correct values.
- The check that Magento runs to confirm a configurable product’s readiness for sale is now faster. (The
isSalablemethod checks that a configurable product can be sold (that is, is in a saleable state)).
- Magento no longer calculates configurable product special prices on the category page. Previously, Magento calculated special prices on the category page, but did not display them.
- Magento now runs a selective partial re-indexing operation after import if you enabled Update on Schedule. Previously, Magento ran a full reindex no matter which index mode was set.
- Magento now displays imported product images in this order: first, the base image, then the additional images in the order in which they were listed in the CSV file. Previously, Magento displayed images in this unexpected order: first, an additional image, then the base image, and finally, all remaining additional images.
- Magento now caches attribute options for the layered navigation feature. This reduces the number of queries to the database, and consequently improves performance.
- Magento no longer performs unnecessary file check operations (for example,
is_file), which improves the performance of the category and product pages.
- Magento now caches image metadata, which avoids the time-consuming need to read images for metadata loading.
- Magento now shows a significant decrease in Redis traffic after upgrading 2.1.2 to 2.1.4.
- Magento no longer creates redundant objects when initializing a configurable product on the Category page.
- You can now disable swatches for both the Catalog page and search results (quick or advanced). To disable swatches from these requests, disable Stores > Configuration > Catalog > Storefront > Show Swatches in Product List.
- The logic that Magento uses to validate swatch attributes has been optimized.
- Magento now caches swatch data in the block cache, which improves the responsiveness of the configurable product pages.
You can refer release notes and more information in below link.