We can assign the New Order Status. I will give some basic info:
Login to Magento Admin > STORES > Configuration > SALES > Payment Methods > Choose the Payment, you will see the config for the New Order Status:
Create the New Order status: STORES > Order Status, we can create a new status for the custom payment. And then, we need to assign this status to the new state.
In short, one state can have many statuses. You can define any status, for your understanding. While a state can be a specific case, Magento need to handle it internally.
1) For the offline payments, for example, after placing order successfully, the order has the
new state, however, it can have a new status if we assign a new status to this state. The order will change the state and status to
processing after creating invoice or shipment.
2) For the online payments, they're more complicated. The payment has some basic methods:
- Authorized: A payment authorization is a hold of funds on your account, which is not an actual charge. The order can be assigned the
new state. Read more here: https://support.turo.com/hc/en-us/articles/203991180-What-is-a-payment-authorization
- Capture: After capturing payment, our order is paid , so, the order can change the state and status to processing. We can manually make the request capture by creating online invoice in Admin. Or, process Capture after Authorized. programmatically.
- Canceled: Canceled the order. The order can change the state and status to cancel.
- Void: Void can be the same with Canceled case.
- Refund: We can make a full or partial refund, online or offline refund. A credit memo will be created if choosing offline refund.
In your case, I'm not sure about this payment, however, we can process Capture Payment after Authorization payment. The order can change the state and status to processing.
THE ORDER STATE & STATUS FLOW CHART: