I'm trying to enable the cache in magento that stopped overnight. When I turn shows success message but not active.
I tried to activate programmatically and with mysql but without success.
I also tried to disable and then enable.
I had this error today.
I cleared cache, checked log files, made sure I'm using the right database and all.
After searching for an hour I got the issue. There was another xml file named "local1.xml" lying in app/etc folder. I deleted it, and everything came back to normal.
Hope this helps someone, someday.
thats a caching issue...
try to clear all your caches after enabling them.
If this does not work, try to clear your cache provider (filesystem, memcache, whatever you use)