After upgrading from 188.8.131.52 to 184.108.40.206 I had a similar problem and I have just fixed it.
In my case the rendering of the whole page stopped after the header. That means, no product related to the search was shown and e.g. the footer wasn't rendered, as well.
I had a modified
app/code/local/Mage/CatalogSearch/Model/Resource which had some minor changes in the
prepareResult() function. I diffed my local file, the one from 220.127.116.11 and the one from 18.104.22.168. I recognized that a new protected class variable called
$_foundData and additionally the getter for this variable was introduced in 22.214.171.124. I added both to my local file and after that the page was correctly rendering again, but still no product related to the search was shown.
That was, because of several changes happened in the
prepareResult() function from 126.96.36.199 to 188.8.131.52. I applied the changes to my local file and now the catalog search is working fine again.
If this does not solve your problem, take a look at the other changes of the CatalogSearch module that happened from 184.108.40.206/1.9.3 to 220.127.116.11. Maybe you override other files of this module or use an extension that overrides files of this module.