I've had a play around with various settings - previous to me running the site I realized that when you searched for something it wasn't bringing up anything related, as the site wasn't using descriptions/meta keywords or anything in the search.
For a one word search it now seems to work, but as soon as I added a number after it just brings up pages of non related items.
In this example I search "Linx" and it brings up the products where I have added the word linx to the meta keywords or description. As soon as I put "Linx 8" in it brings up lots of items that aren't related at all and don't have the term "linx 8" anywhere in the product pages.
I thought that maybe making it unable to search by SKU or price might help but it seems that it only made a small dent in the amount of items that are coming up.
I've only just started using magento so apologies if this is a quick fix but I am stumped!