So back in the days (not too far though as upgrades before 1.5 were super painful), the upgrade process for Magento 1 could basically be done by one of those two lines (depending if you installed/upgraded Magento via command line before or not):
./mage upgrade-all ./mage install http://connect20.magentocommerce.com/community Mage_All_Latest --force
However, for the last year (maybe more ?), the upgrade documented officially (available here: http://devdocs.magento.com/guides/m1x/install/installing_upgrade_details.html) recommends a way longer and more painful process, especially the steps were you have to:
- archive the custom themes and extensions,
- download fresh Magento files
- transfer the archives to the new Magento folder
So my questions are:
- can one still upgrade via
./mage? if so, what are the risks ?
- why did Magento stop recommending the usage of
./mageto upgrade ?