I am working for a company, and we are looking to expand to another domain that we own. We have a couple in house servers for testing that mimic the live server. We have at any given time up to ten "play" sites on a box, including the live server (although we don't use the live server for any play sites unless we are getting outside help.)
The conditions are:
- Each play site has its own virtualhost entry in the httpd.conf file
- Each play site has its own directory in /var/www
- ie. play1 is in /var/www/play1, where as play2 is in /var/www/play2
- All play sites have their own IP address (whether on the internal net or internet, doesn't matter)
- We are able to assign as many IP's as needed to a single box
- We do not use wildcard entries in our virtualhost entries
- We want separate themes for each domain/store, while sharing the customer database between sites/stores.
In our attempts to do this on our own, we are able to get the Magento install to use both IP addresses we assign to it, but when we try to differentiate, Magento doesn't do anything regarding the theme, catalog, or anything. It just shows us the same site on both IP addresses, even after defining the Base URL for each store.
I am under the impression that some core files regarding the themes were modified when the original webmaster created the site. I can provided copies of files upon request.