I am currently working on a theme that I have used and have been changing the templates and styles following the detailed guides over at the Magento2 site.
However, I am really struggling to make progress and am not quite sure what I am doing wrong.
From my understanding of the documentation I can use server side compilation and Grunt to make the changes necessary to progress my developments.
This sounds great, so I installed Grunt and that is working fine, but my issue is that I keep getting loads of 404 errors around pub/static files not existing.
This is strange as from my understanding these files should be generated automatically.
What seems to work is when I run:
php bin/magento setup:static-content:deploy en_GB
But, I don't want to do that each time and it also means that when I run:
No changes are detected.
A couple of notes to try and help understand where I have come from:
- I am in developer mode
- I have cleared the contents of var and pub/static
- I am on Magento 2.0.7 updated via composer
- I have run php bin/magento setup:upgrade
- I also get the same 404 errors when I access the admin area
- I have run grunt refresh, grunt exec:all and grunt less to compile all less, but still have the same issues
- Some digging around seemed to point to symlinks, but I have not been able to work it out
I am sure there is one small thing I am missing or not doing. If anyone could help that would be great as I am tearing my hair out.