Suppose we sell socks. In sizes S, M and L.
Currently we use
- 1 configurable product
- That is linked to 3 simple products, each with its own stock
- If a sale is made stock is deducted from the simple product by qty #
Now we would like to create packs of the individual configurable product, say "buy 6 pairs of socks" for price Y.
I can imagining creating 1 product, that
- works the same as a configurable product, where
- a customer has to select his/her size
- but when a sale is made of 1 product (the 6 pack or 8 pack for that matter)
- then 6 pieces are deducted from the simple product qty # (instead of 6)
Question: can this be done out of the box? Or is an extension required?
The major element to understand is that one wants to create a new standalone configurable prodcuts (say a T-shirt) where a customer would just like normal select the size and the qty and click add to cart. Only if the product was created as "pack" and has a value ons tock level for a new attribute say "products in pack" (which defaults to 1) then the title of the product can be something like "6 pack t-shirts" and the image shows 6 T-shirts etc.etc. You enter qty=1 (because you want ot buy 1 pack) but the backend order processing should register 6*qty ("products in pack"=6 in this example) when changing the underlying simple products stock. So all values of the configurable product work natively, but not the stock this is influenced by the "products in pack" attribute.