UPDATE: I would still love to know of a better way, especially on how to do "leave a review" on hidden simple products which were bought via a group
It's pretty much all in the question title. This does not make sense. I remember having to do manual development back in 2009 when grouped were new, but, we are now in 2016 surely this has matured?
I have this fairly classic set up:
- Grouped Product visible and has all the editorial.
- Individual Products (individual sku) as associated in the group products. Not visible individually
This is on up to date Magento 1.9
They are added to cart as grouped products so that the product in the cart properly links back to the group product when clicked.
But when the order is placed, this all seems to evaporate - the order shows the individual sku products only.
- order confirmation product links to the simple, non visible product: 404 (I have removed all links for now)
- request for review add ons will send links to the simple, non visible product: 404 if clicked
- my account "last ordered items" has links to the simple, non visible product: 404 if clicked
This is a standard scenario, I have not extended the checkout (though some add ons might have) and at first glance it seems to be internal to Magento.
How can it create sales-killing broken links like that, when it should be able to know, on generation of the email or pages, that the product is hidden?
Where do the links in my account, and other admin links, come from? I have found a way to override product links but that does not work on the "my account" "recent products" and "leave review" links, which is not helping me as these are the links that work properly.
How can it be fixed?
Update: tested on totally vanilla Magento, and this problem happens. Also on vanilla Magento 2. links in "my account" to reorder products, and any tool trying to generate review link, goes to a 404