We are using Magento Community 184.108.40.206. Here is our situation that we need help:
1) We offer products for sale, which can be purchased in “each” quantity or in the “case” quantity.
2) This product is setup as a configurable product, where the “each” option is a simple product and the “case” option is a separate simple product.
3) I want to offer free shipping for the “case” quantity simple product.
4) I created a category that is called “Case quantity items that should receive free shipping”. I set this to ACTIVE, but not in navigation.
5) I add the desired Case quantity simple product to the category specified in item #4 above.
6) I then create a shopping cart price rule. In this rule, I set free shipping to matching items online. I set actions to be “Apply the rule only to cart items matching the following conditions if all of these conditions are true”, and I set it to read category = 123 (where category 123 is the same as item #4 above).
Can someone please help me get this setup properly so that I can set a simple product, assigned to a configurable product, to allow free shipping???