I have asked this before but the answer was somewhat convoluted and dissatisfactory.
I am looking to achieve the following:
- A shoe is sold in many colors and many sizes
- The shoe should show up in layered nav filters for sizes that the simples represent, but when filtered the image should change to the corresponding image
- Ideally it should be represented by only one configurable product
Currently there are two solutions we have implemented:
- Set one size of each color of the shoe to be visibility
Catalogand the configurable to be
- When these simples are displaying in the category we have a plugin which gets the correct URL from the parent configurable and pass the current color/size in the querystring to pre-load the selection when the customer navigates
- Create multiple configurables, each representing a different color.
- Each configurable points to the same set of child products
- Gallery images take care of the color/image view requirements in catalog
I think that each of these solutions is viable, but I have a feeling that there must be a better way. Any workable suggestions welcome.